Greene County Public Schools School Nutrition is pleased to announce the availability of applying for Free and Reduced Price Meals online! Click the button below to begin:
National School Lunch Program Equipment Assistance GrantFollowing the grant application process in October, I have received a grant for $25, 693.00 to be used to renovate/update the serving line at Nathanael Greene Primary school. Dry heat wells, frost top area for cold items, lighting, tray slide height adjustment and other upgrades will be completed before the new school year. The new serving line and tray slides will allow students easier access to the selections offered and better visibility with the tilted wells and lighting.
National Nutrition Month - March 2019
National Nutrition Month® is an annual nutrition education and information campaign created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The campaign, celebrated each year during the month of March, focuses attention on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits.
During National Nutrition Month®, help the Academy achieve its vision of a world where all people thrive through the transformative power of food and nutrition.
- Discover the benefits of a healthy eating style.
- Choose foods and drinks that are good for your health.
- Include a variety of healthful foods from all of the food groups on a regular basis.
- Select healthier options when eating away from home.
- Be mindful of portion sizes. Eat and drink the amount that's right for you, as MyPlate encourages us to do.
- Keep it simple. Eating right doesn't have to be complicated.
- Make food safety part of your everyday routine.
- Help to reduce food waste by considering the foods you have on hand before buying more at the store.
- Find activities that you enjoy and be physically active most days of the week.
- Consult the nutrition experts. Registered Dietitian Nutritionists can provide sound, easy-to-follow personalized nutrition advice to meet your lifestyle, preferences and health-related needs.
National Nutrition Month Activities
National Nutrition Month Tip Sheets
National School Breakfast Week - March 4th - 8th
National School Breakfast Week Activities
October 1 - 5 - Farm To School Week
Schools may also bring Farm to School to the classroom with SOL-based lesson plans and grant opportunities available on the Virginia Ag in the Classroom website.
October 15th - 19th - National School Lunch Week
President John F. Kennedy created National School Lunch Week (NSLW) in 1962. During this annual weeklong celebration, SNA members and students around the country celebrate in their cafeterias with decorations, special menus, events, and more.
NSLW activity sheets (pdf)
National School Lunch Week is October 15 – 19, 2018.
The 2018 NSLW theme is “School Lunch: Lots 2 Love”, and it’s all about showcasing the lunch program in our schools. The National School Lunch Program serves more than 30 million children every school day—that’s something to love!
Ruckersville Elementary, Nathanael Greene Primary and Elementary Schools are hosting "National Take Your Parents to Lunch Day" and invite parents to attend lunch with their children any day during that week. The cost for visitors is $3.75. Please let the School Nutrition Staff know ahead of time, that you plan to eat with your student.Click on the link above to find out why School Nutrition staff like what they do.
Share Our Strength and the Virginia No Kid Hungry Campaign awarded a grant of $5000.00 to the School Nutrition Program on April 23rd, 2018. The purpose of the grant is to provide start-up funds in order to increase participation in the School Breakfast Program.
New Grab and Go Breakfast Cart at Ruckersville Elementary School - April 11th, 2018
The School Nutrition Program purchased the Breakfast Cart with funds obtained through a grant from The Dairy Alliance. The Grab and Go breakfast is available, daily, and the cart is located across from the library. Students purchase breakfast, at the same cost as in the cafeteria, and take it directly to class. This is the third school to implement this alternate breakfast.