Greene County Public Schools
Department of Transportation
Immediate Openings for Full-time and Substitute Bus Drivers
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to high school with a Virginia CDL license with a School Bus endorsement. Some experience using computer hardware and software preferred.
The School Bus Driver operates school bus and other vehicles for the purpose of transporting students to and from desginated locations.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Safely operates a school bus over long distances across interstate and state primary roads at sustained legally allowed speeds, in a mannter that forsters a safe and conscientious image to the public;
- Conducts safe and orderly loading and unloading of students at specified stops;
- Maintains order and discipline on the bus;
- Attends pre-service, in-service, and other required meetings pertaining to the job;
- Performs routine operator care to include: washing the bus; sweeping interior; checking equipment and reporting defects; and presenting bus for regulary scheduled maitenance;
- Accomplishes and submits daily mileage reports and bus conduct reports, as required;
- Checks email regularly; Maintains daily time records via iPod; Ensures timely submission of timekeeping data to department administration;
- Responsible for ensuring all accidents are immediately reported to a Driver Supervisor;
- Performs duties as assigned by the Superintendent.
Satisfactory health condition as certified by competent medical authority. Mist demonstrate the ability to successfully complete the Virginia Education Department training curriculum for school bus drivers and obtain a Commercial Driver's License with appropriate school bus endorsements within the probationary period. Complete State and County requirements of twenty (20) hours of classroom and twenty (14) fourteen hours of behind the wheel instruction. No reckless driving or driving under the influence convictions within five (5) years and/or fewer than two (2) moving violations within twelve (12) months of employment.
Considerable knowlege of:
GCPS vehicles approved for student transport; local,
State and federal traffic laws and regulations;
The operation of medium and light automotive equipment;
Road, street and school locations within the County;
The proper use and operation of two-way radio equipment.
- Develop and maintain a positivie attitude toward students;
- Learn computer hardware and software applications;
- Communicate and develop effective working relationships with students, parents and staff.
A Commercial Drivers License is required for this position. If you do not currently have a CDL, our department will provide all necessary training.
Candidates that successfully complete the class, obtain a license and drive 5 days will be eligible for a $300.00 Incentive Bonus as a thank you for choosing Greene County Schools.
Interested applicants should contact Larry Morris, Director of Transportation for further information. (434)-939-9000 option 1 or firstname.lastname@example.org