Virginia Education Wizard
A comprehensive career and college planning website that provides students with the ability to assess their skills and explore associated career clusters; find specific occupations in demand, and the top employers within their local area and other regions of Virginia; explore public and private colleges and universities throughout Virginia based on various “fit” factors and save the results; prepare for college admission and attendance; and build resumes and prepare for interviews. The Wizard also contains the electronic Academic and Career plan for students.
Career Planning Guide
A searchable online resource to help students determine the most effective CTE courses of study based on a student's career goals.
Parents: Help Your Child Develop a Career Plan!
Middle School Parent Resource – this brochure is designed for parents/guardians to engage with their children about career planning and development. It complements the suite of Virginia R U Ready? resources (student guide) and Ready or Not(teacher's resource).
A Career Cluster is a grouping of occupations and broad industries based on commonalities. Within each career cluster, there are multiple career pathways that represent a common set of skills and knowledge, both academic and technical, necessary to pursue a full range of career opportunities within that pathway – ranging from entry level to management, including technical and professional career specialties. Based on the skills sets taught, all CTE courses are aligned with one or more career clusters and career pathways.
ACADEMIC AND CAREER PLANS
During the 2013-2014school year, VDOE began requiring students to complete Academic and Career Plans (ACP) during their 7th grade year and complete them by the end of 8th grade. The ACP's will allow students to begin thinking about their future, from high school, graduation, and post-secondary college/career plans.
With the help of the Virginia Wizard program, we will construct the ACP based on academic and career interests by completing several surveys. By the end of your students 8th grade year, their ACP will be complete and part of their cumulative educational record. It will be reviewed/updated during their ninth and eleventh grade years. Students may access their ACP's at any point in time through their School Counselor.
Students in grade 6-8 will:
- identify the relationship of course content, educational achievement, and career choices,
- identify personal preferences, skills, and interests that influence career choices and success,
- understand the effect of career choices on quality of life,
- understand that behaviors such as punctuality, courtesy, proper dress and language, and hard work are essential to success in the job market,
- demonstrate understanding of the education and training needed to achieve career goals,
- demonstrate employability skills such as individual initiative, teamwork, problem solving, organization, and communication,
- use research skills to locate, evaluate, and interpret career and educational information, and
- demonstrate awareness of educational, vocational, and technical training opportunities available in high school.